The Big Jewelry Store, Wm. Lambrecht, proprietor, was opened in 1892 near Milwaukee and Western Avenues in Chicago. The business was staffed by watchmakers, optometrists, silversmiths and jewelers. It came to be known as the largest jewelry store outside of Chicago’s downtown area.
The business was known by a landmark street clock which was located on Milwaukee Avenue. Lambrecht’s also supplied the regulator clocks for the elevated stations throughout the city, and employed a person to go from station to station to personally wind and set the clocks.
The foundation of quality goods, value and personal service have been hallmarks through four generations of the Lambrecht family who have been involved in the business. The tradition continues in the second shop in Wilmette, now catering to fourth generation customers, with great-grandchildren Matthew and Beth Lambrecht running the business today.